Monday, March 30, 2009

Behind the Scenes at the White House (and Amtrak)



Robert Gibbs for Time Magazine in the White House Press Briefing Room
Photo Editor: Leslie dela Vega
Assistant: Nick Jraba 
2nd assist / Mic holder: Shannon Twomey

In February I had one of the best shoots yet. I know, I always say that, but this was full of giddy exaltation. The assignment, to photograph press secretary Robert Gibbs... at the White House. Booya! What a great opportunity. We hopped on the train from NY and met Nick, who crammed 4 power packs and a crap load of gear into his trusty Honda Civic. Moms was calling me every other hour to update me on the whereabouts of Obama, with hopes of a sighting. The above picture is pretty much exactly what Leslie envisioned, but of course we wanted to get as many variations as possible with our 30 minutes. So, here's what else we were able to talk Mr. Gibbs into (and he ain't an easy one to assuage) in the 15 minutes we ended up getting ...

    

But the best was yet to come. Since we didn't get our 30 minutes, we got to hang with the CNNers and papparazzi the first fam getting on Marine One for Camp David. I love Shannon's image the most. She was so excited to see Obama, she lifted her head up to see him in person, instead of through the lens, and this is what she got...



good thing I was on backup for moms...



But it doesn't stop there. As if the day couldn't get better, we get on amtrak and run into Dennis Kucinich. And as much as I love Barack, I do really love me some Dennis... 



You know it's real when I bust out a Fire Marshall Bill smile. And check out his young wifey (whut? whut?!) ...



All in a day!





1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS BLOG ROBYN! SUCH A HUGE INSPIRATION YOU ARE!!!
    THANK YOU!!
    ER, JAMES HERE.

    ReplyDelete